bridgesofdublin.ie is live
17th September 2013 in Site News
Developed by Dublin City Council, Bridges of Dublin is the most comprehensive repository of information about the Liffey’s 23 bridges from Lucan in the west to East-Link in the Docklands. Ever wondered which one is the oldest? That’d be Mellows Bridge at Queen St, built in 1768. Visitors to the site can get an overview of each bridge along with design and engineering facts, a run down of its history, a timeline of rebuilds etc, who it’s named after and where it’s located on the river. The site also has a comprehensive bridge building section covering types, materials, famous Irish & World bridges, designers, disasters and proposed bridges.
With a bridge history extending back hundreds of years, there are many stories associated with the bridges and we have a dedicated section for them. Users can submit their own which will feature alongside those already written by the site researchers. The largest section on the site is the Gallery. Over 900 images have been assembled from archives including the Dublin City Archive, National Library of Ireland, National Gallery etc, some being seen for the first time. The most spectacular images are also offered in a high resolution viewer so you can zoom in to details like JFK crossing O’Connell Bridge in 1963. The Historical Dublin section rounds out the site as we chart the Liffey and Dublin, recreate photos from the same position and angle in Then & Now plus view Dublin Maps going back to 840. As we add the 24th bridge over the Liffey in 2013, come learn about our rich bridge heritage at www.bridgesofdublin.ie