George Papworth was born in London in 1781. He studied architecture under his elder brother, John, and worked with him until 1804. During this period he was also exhibiting designs at the Royal Academy.
In 1806 he moved to Dublin to take charge of Circular Stone Manufacturers in the North Strand Area. At the same time he started building up a private practice and in 1812, on the sale of the stone company, he focused on architecture, arbitrations and some machinery development.
From 1830 on he received many commissions having been appointed the architect for Catholic Churches, the Dublin and Drogheda Railway Company and the Royal Bank. Some of his architectural work can be seen in the interior design of the Pro-Cathedral on Marlborough Street and the Carmelite Church on Aungier Street.
King George IV visited Dublin in 1821 and to commemorate his visit it was decided to build a new bridge adjacent to Heuston Station. It was paid for by private subscriptions. Papworth designed the bridge but work did not commence until 1827. It was originally named Kingsbridge but is known today as Sean Heuston Bridge.
George Papworth was very much involved in the Royal of Institute of Architects of Ireland (RIAI).
He died in Dublin in 1855.