John Chaloner Smith
John Chaloner Smith was born in Dublin in 1827. He graduated from Trinity College in 1853 and became Resident Engineer on the Waterford and Limerick Railway Line. In 1861 he formed a contracting firm in conjunction with John Bagnell. This partnership focussed on building railways and was successful. In 1868 he retired from contracting and became Engineer for the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway Line. He was then promoted to Chief Engineer and remained in that position until his retirement in 1894.
Smith was involved in railway construction when it was at its peak in Ireland. He was responsible for the New Ross extension of 18 miles which involved three miles of 13 metre deep rock cutting, a 720 metre tunnel and a bridge over the River Barrow. He was also responsible for the Loop Line elevated railway, over the River Liffey, which connects Connolly Station to Pearse Station. He campaigned for this link for twelve years prior to legislation being passed in 1884. This line continues to be very contentions as it blocks the view of James Gardens Custom House as you approach it from the city.
Smith was elected President of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland in 1893. He died in 1895.