Design and Engineering
The Rory O’More Bridge consists of a single arch of 29m span with a 2.9m rise giving a pleasant flat appearance. The arch profile gives the appearance of a segment of a circle. The bridge is 10.05m wide, has two lanes of traffic and two footpaths.
The main bridge framework consists of seven iron ribs which directly support the bridge decking at the crown section and by means of open spandrels away from the crown. The deck consists of wrought iron buckled plates and tee irons.
The ribs span between granite masonry abutments which protrude over 3m from the quay walls. The abutments at rib level are angled such that the ribs sit perpendicular to the masonry. Iron seating cleats are provided. At spandrel level the abutments present a vertical face. The masonry of the abutments including cornices, dadoes and plinths is well cut ashlar.
The cast-iron parapet is composed of fourteen openwork sections, decorated with ten ellipses each, alternating with openwork simple rectangular panels. The arch is also of iron, the spandrels having the same openwork decoration as the parapet. The archring bears the following inscription - Robert Daglish Junr. St. Helens Foundry Lancashire 1858. At the rise of the bridge on the east side there is a commemorative plaque, It is a concrete structure topped with a cross bearing a circular bronze plaque, engraved with a simple bell and accompanied by the inscription “1829-1929, Saoirse Creidim”. Below this there is a Latin inscription in stone which reads “Anno Centesimo Pas Ivra Politic Maioribvs Nostris Catholicis Reddita IX Kal IVL MCM XXLX Edvardvs Archiep Dublinen Ex Altare Svper Huncpontem Apte Structo Benedixit Cum Ssmo Sacramento Muhitvdinem Ovingenorvm Fere Milivm Fidelivm Adstante Nuntio Sedis speciali Vna Cum Hibernorvm Antistibus Vniversis”. This celebrates the first centenary of Catholic Emancipation.
The bridge was renamed again in 1939 the Rory O’More Bridge, a leader in the 1641 rebellion.